The Science of Effective Mentorship in STEMM
Amazon.com's Price: $75.00as of 12/06/2019 04:09 EST
Availability: Not yet published
This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Item Dimensions: 10007000
Label: National Academies Press
Languages: EnglishPublishedEnglishOriginal LanguageEnglishUnknown
Manufacturer: National Academies Press
Number Of Pages: 306
Publication Date: January 10, 2020
Publisher: National Academies Press
Studio: National Academies Press
Browse for similar items by category: Click to Display
Mentorship is a catalyst capable of unleashing oneâ€™s potential for discovery, curiosity, and participation in STEMM and subsequently improving the training environment in which that STEMM potential is fostered. Mentoring relationships provide developmental spaces in which studentsâ€™ STEMM skills are honed and pathways into STEMM fields can be discovered. Because mentorship can be so influential in shaping the future STEMM workforce, its occurrence should not be left to chance or idiosyncratic implementation. There is a gap between what we know about effective mentoring and how it is practiced in higher education.
The Science of Effective Mentorship in STEMM studies mentoring programs and practices at the undergraduate and graduate levels. It explores the importance of mentorship, the science of mentoring relationships, mentorship of underrepresented students in STEMM, mentorship structures and behaviors, and institutional cultures that support mentorship. This report and its complementary interactive guide present insights on effective programs and practices that can be adopted and adapted by institutions, departments, and individual faculty members.
Table of Contents
- Front Matter
- 1 Introduction: Why Does Mentoring Matter?
- 2 The Science of Mentoring Relationships: What Is Mentorship?
- 3 Mentoring Underrepresented Students in STEMM: Why Do Identities Matter?
- 4 Mentorship Structures: What Forms Does Mentorship Take?
- 5 Mentorship Behaviors and Education: How Can Effective Mentorship Develop?
- 6 Assessment and Evaluation: What Can Be Measured in Mentorship, and How?
- 7 Individuals, Relationships, and Institutional Responsibility: How Can Institutional Culture Better Support Mentorship?
- 8 Findings and Recommendations
- Appendix A: Glossary
- Appendix B: A Selection of STEMM Intervention Programs that Include Mentoring Experiences
- Appendix C: Listening Sessions and Workshops Information
- Appendix D: Committee and Staff Biographies
Top Rated Sites
Most Popular Sites